Monday, June 2, 2014

Cultivating Relationships

I’ve been thinking about the content of this post for a while now.  You see, the purpose of this blog was to document our transition from an urban lifestyle to our chosen farming utopia.  But for the last couple of months, the place has felt like a farm, and I feel like a farmer.  I had trouble saying and owning “I’m a farmer” at first, but not anymore.  There is dirt under my nails constantly, I have no clean clothes and I spend a significant proportion of my time on my hands and knees in the soil with an achy back.  I mean, that’s the true measure of a farmer, right?  Now, I’m not naïve enough to think the transition is complete but living in suburbia feels like a distant memory and we are immersed in rural life.  And so, I will continue to blog about this lifestyle and what’s going on with the farm, but with the acknowledgment that ‘stage one’ is done.

I thought that this time I would talk about our relationships; with each other, with the land and with farming.  I suppose I’ve already touched on my relationship with farming.  I can barely remember a time when I wasn’t farming.  I’m also feeling way more confident about what I’m doing, not an expert, but certainly able to muddle through and find the information I need to forge ahead and make conscientious decisions.  The other note about my relationship with farming is how it has become my greatest act of feminism to date.  Ironically, I worked most of my previous career in social care and the nonprofit sector and considered myself somewhat of an activist.  However, I believe I’m making more of an impact as a feminist now and it’s completely unintentional.  When I’m asked what I do, and I reply that I am a farmer, I can see many people struggle with that.  They can deal with ‘homesteader’ or ‘farmers wife’, but that fact that I am the farmer pushes people.  The next stage in their acceptance is when I talk about growing herbs and veg.  People can imagine me pottering around a small garden with a few carrots and some rosemary growing but when I start talking about acres and pigs and sheep and chickens; well, it’s just too much for some and their disbelief is tangible.  I’m sure that when I’m fully healed from my career in social care, I will relish that fight, but right now I’m still not ready for any cause.

Our family is flourishing.  Ian and I are spending more time together than ever before, granted it’s usually working on the farm after he’s been at work all day and I’ve got the kids to bed but at least it’s time, and quality time at that.  Not sitting in front of a mind numbing TV program, but working together and talking about our future.  Our marriage feels lighter, easier, raw; strange descriptive words for a relationship but appropriate, I think.  Definitely better, happier, easier.

As I write this, the children are swinging on the hammocks outside and playing Frisbee, and the sound of their laughter is joyful.  My girls are 14 and 6 years old so it’s refreshing to see what’s happening with them and how they’re bonding more.  Lauren is still the internet obsessed teenager but has softened since we came here.  She has joined 4H, which is a rural-based group that focuses on self-development and leaderships for kids and teens.  I can’t help believe that her change is partly due to moving away from the ‘burbs and mixing with different people. Their relationship as sisters has grown.  I think the fact that we have been so busy has forced us to become more reliant on each other, and that’s a good thing, it has strengthened all of our relationships.

Of course, as I talk about family relationships, I should really talk about our animal family.  The baby chicks have become obnoxious teenagers who peck my feet at every opportunity.  This is a relationship that will be tested.  We have at least two roosters that we know of and we can’t have boys in the hen house.  So, the boys are destined for the pot.  Generally, you can kill a chick for meat from 7 weeks onwards.  Well, they are 7 weeks but still very small so wouldn’t make much of a meal.  I think we will leave them until they are about 20 weeks but this is the first kill challenge we will have.  As I enjoy watching them grow and become more confident, I have one eye on the calendar and have a sense of trepidation about their fate. 

The same goes with the sheep that arrived about a month ago.  The lambs are for meat and this is another animal we will slaughter and butcher ourselves (at least that’s the plan).  I feel less bothered about this.  I’ve been very involved with the chicks, they hatched here on the farm and I watched them pop their little heads out of their eggs.  But the sheep are way more independent.  We haven’t had them since birth and I barely see them.  They are totally independent; all I do is water them.  Also, the little ram is becoming rather rambunctious.  He tries to butt us regularly and we had to fence off a little area so we could safely walk through the gate to the chicken nursery without being harassed by the little bugger!  I don’t think we’ll have too much trouble putting him to an end.

The pigs arrive soon.  We have managed to source pedigree pigs for meat.  They won’t be processed here.  We have other people who want to buy into the pigs.  If the meat is for public consumption, it has to be processed at an approved plant.  I’ve read a lot raising pigs and we’re looking forward to their arrival.  Let’s see if I still feel excited after they’ve been here a couple of weeks, there is going to be eight of them to care for and, errr, manage?!

My final relationship that I want to touch on is with customers.  I’m recognizing an increased need for patience.  No offence to a majority of the people who buy and appreciate our produce, most of you are wonderful people.  Now you would think that I would have practiced patience when working with vulnerable teenagers in my previous life.  But the thing is you expect challenges with that client group.  Recently, someone inquired about the cost of the salad we are selling.  I told her it’s $4 a box.  Bear in mind that it is organic, grown from non-GMO seed and much cheaper than the same amount at the grocery store.  It’s also much fresher.  Anyway, this customer agreed to a purchase but with a few choice comments about farmers getting rich and some suggestion that I should cram as much as possible into the box to ensure she gets good value.  At that moment, I had to exercise self-control.  But I also had to reflect on her reaction.  Sometimes, as consumers, it feels as if we pay a lot for food.  Lettuce – it’s really just water in a green casing.  And eggs – what could possibly be the cost of having a chicken do what it does naturally, how do we justify $5 a dozen?  It made me realize that people have no idea what farming involves and the cost associated with it.  This is not a ‘get rich quick scheme’ for us; it’s not even a ‘get rich eventually scheme’.  Don’t worry, I’m not about to bore you and lament about how hard we work, or the cost of fuel or feed prices.  I’m not going to justify what we charge for produce.  Buy it, or don’t.  Chose local, or not.  Enjoy organic, or don’t.  Opt for ethical, or don’t.  It’s up to you.  I’m not going to compromise my relation with the land, or my product, to reduce cost.  Our food choices here are based primarily on what I want to feed my family, and that’s not going to change.

As we become more aware of our farm relationships, our enterprise continues to grow, develop and evolve.  Sales of eggs and salad have been more successful than I anticipated and we have plans to start construction of another poly tunnel to meet demand.  This week we are offering a greater variety of produce for sale and next week I’m considering my first farmers market!  It’s exciting.  We came here naïve and overly confident (read: ignorant).  We worked, read, laughed, cried, built, planted, learned and worked some more, but we did it!  Less than a year since we moved to 5 acres of land with just a house and a dilapidated barn, the feminist farmer is ready to go to market!

No comments:

Post a Comment